Search the website

Heritage and history

Even though Collie has a relatively short history, declared a townsite in 1896, the town is proud of it’s old buildings and historical collections which reflect the importance of the early years of timber milling, railways and coal mining..

Replica Coal Mine

The mine was constructed in 1983 by the Collie Rotary Club to commemorate the centenary of the discovery of coal. One of three very knowledgeable volunteers will take you through …

Find out more

Old Railway Station

The original station was demolished in the 1970’s and was rebuilt and opened in 2004 by the Collie Railway Station Group. The building displays information on the history of the …

Find out more

Dr Alexander Collie Memorial

Established to recognise Dr Alexander Collie who arrived in Fremantle on the 8th June 1829, as Lieutenant Surgeon appointed to HMS Sulpher with the party led by Captain Stirling. Accompanied …

Find out more

Collie Central Precinct Walk

This delightful 2km walk around the Collie CBD offers a glimpse into Collie’s past whilst celebrating many of the modern new facilities in the town. Pick up a leaflet from …

Find out more

All Saints Anglican Church

Built in the Norman design of the early Italian churches. The interior of the church includes a beautiful mural by artist Philip Goatcher, extensive use of local jarrah timbers and …

Find out more

Collie Mine Worker’s Institute

The Miners Institute, as it is known by the locals, was built in 1953 and is a prominent example of the International Modern Style linked to the Art Deco period. …

Find out more

Courthouse

Built in 1913 in Federation Free Style architecture, the Collie Court House is a single storey red brick building clad with a Marseilles tiled roof. The street facade is adorned …

Find out more

Old Collie Post Office

The striking arches of the old Collie Post Office are typical of early Post Office architecture. Being a significant land mark in the town, it also became a focal point …

Find out more

Old Police Station

The old Police Station was built around 1926 of white rendered brick. A previous wooden building was thought to have been built on the site in 1899, by W.C Rose. …

Find out more

St Brigid’s Roman Catholic Church

Built on the site of the original old wooden church in 1935 in gothic style , St Brigids is a place of worship for many Collie residents. The Church features …

Find out more

St David’s Catholic Church

The historic St David’s Catholic Church, built in the early 1900’s, is situated in the old townsite of Worsley. The old timber Church is one of only two original buildings …

Find out more

Old Goods Shed

Designed by C Y O’Connor and built in 1898, the shed has recently been restored by the Collie Heritage & Menshed Group and is also used for markets on alternate …

Find out more

Coalfields Museum & Historical Research Centre

The Coalfields Museum provides a unique glimpse into Collie’s early days. The museum is housed in the historic buildings of the 1900 and 1930 Road Board offices. Taking pride of …

Find out more

Memorial Coal Arch

The old coal arch was relocated from Western No.1 underground mine entrance in 1999 and is one of the few surviving examples of a mine entrance on the Collie coalfields. …

Find out more

Co-op Bridge

This is the only remaining bridge crossing from the very early days of Collie. Construction of the original bridge commenced on this site in 1900 and was replaced in 1967 …

Find out more

Bill Weir Rolling Stock Shed

The Bill Weir Rolling Stock Shed, located next to the Goods Shed, houses many wagons that are being restored by some very enthusiastic volunteers from the Collie Heritage Group. The …

Find out more

Stay in the loop

Sign up for the Whispers from the Valley newsletter