The Shire of Collie’s draft Strategic Community Plan is out for comment until Friday, 29 September 2017.
The Strategic Community Plan is a high-level document that sets the strategy and priorities for a ten-year cycle. It undergoes a review every two years, alternating between a minor review and a major review, ensuring the best decisions are made in the short to medium term, continuously looking ahead towards a ten-year horizon.
The Strategic Community Plan is used to guide Council decision-making and priority-setting, engage the community, inform decision-making by other stakeholders, provide a clear avenue to pursue funding opportunities and provide a framework for monitoring progress against the community’s vision and aspirations.
Key points of the plan include an acknowledgement that the Shire of Collie is in a period of significant change largely due to the global shift in energy generation.
This is reflected in the following strategic priorities:
- Economic diversification to provide new opportunities for the workforce displaced by changes in the coal mining and coal fired power generation sector; i.e. Agriculture
- Developing tourism products, infrastructure and the capacity of operators
- Branding and marketing Collie
- Position Collie as the ideal centre for creating sustainable alternatives for the power industry
- Embrace and promote the Shire of Collie as an age-friendly community and retiree destination
- Improve the attractiveness of Collie to families and retain the youth population
- Maintain existing community infrastructure and develop regional infrastructure and improved transport connections in the region for the Collie community and tourists
- Advocate and provide for the health of the Collie River in collaboration with stakeholders
Shire President Wayne Sanford says the Strategic Community plan looks ahead to the next ten year to see new opportunities and growth based on our competencies and progressive community.
“The Strategic Community Plan takes a key step in translating that drive and vision into the Council’s strategic direction and priorities,” Cr Sanford said.
“It builds on the achievements since the previous plan, including the significant revitalisation of the Collie CBD as part of the SuperTowns program. The benefits of having a strong and visionary Plan are evident – it communicates where we want to go, helps us to unlock external resources, and keeps us on track. We will continue to invest in the future of Collie, facilitate partnerships and collaboration, and provide local services for a liveable Shire. In ten years, when we look back, I believe we will say we took the right path,” Cr Sanford said.
Download a copy of the draft Strategic Community Plan, or obtain a hard copy from the Shire administration office or Collie Public Library. Comments may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Locked Bag 6225, Collie, WA, 6225. The consultation period closes on Friday, 29 September 2017.